At first
when I saw this assignment I had no idea how I was going to add up to the
original Ryan Gosling Ads, but then while looking through ads on FaceBook I
found the perfect one. I chose The Walking Dead because of it’s relevance to
current events and what we are talking about in class.
I related
this ad to the Walking Dead because of the whole idea of the zombie apocalypse.
Generally, the zombie apocalypse has to do with zombies eating everyone’s
brains. Taking the zombie apocalypse idea a step further, I decided to make a
joke out of the zombie’s goals of eating brains and to say that they are the
only species to support women for their brains. “Dominant
U.S. culture often reduces women to bodies, valuing us only as sex objects or
as bearers of children ” (Kirk
and Okazawa-Rey 208).
The ad I
made relates to what we are talking about in class because it relates directly
to the beauty ideal. The beauty ideal, which we talked about in last chapter,
has to do with society’s expectations of what a woman should look like to be
considered professional, beautiful, or successful. The beauty ideal is a huge
problem in our society and should be treated as one, however the first step to
this is awareness.
Awareness
of the beauty ideal should be taken a step further, there should be
international campaigns showing just how ridiculous the beauty ideal is, and
that was the goal of my project. If we take the beauty ideal, and make it seem
like one big joke then people will treat it as one. Right now the beauty ideal
is taken seriously and that the problem is people who are going against the
expectations that society holds. In reality, the beauty ideal only fits one
group of people while the rest of us suffer through the feeling of inadequacy,
therefore it is the problem.
Kirk, Gwyn , and Margo
Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives. 5th ed. New York, New York: McGraw
Hill, 2010. 207-210. Print.
Stanley, T.L. Media Freak: The Walking Dead. 2010. Media FreakWeb. 16 Oct 2012. <http://www.mediafreakblog.com/2010/07/amc-betting-big-on-flesheating-zombies.html>.
Stanley, T.L. Media Freak: The Walking Dead. 2010. Media FreakWeb. 16 Oct 2012. <http://www.mediafreakblog.com/2010/07/amc-betting-big-on-flesheating-zombies.html>.

No comments:
Post a Comment