Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Activism Log #1


1. Activisim: This week I was lucky enough to be trained for clinic escorting for Planned Parenthood VOX is a huge supporter of clinic escorting so while finding out about it during a meeting I decided to try it out. At first it was a very quiet morning with only two protestors on the corner reading their bibles, what had seemed like a quiet morning had turned into an all out brawl out by 10am. There were protestors from the organization "40 Days of Life" on the corner screaming at all of the patients, including all of the escorts. Some of my successes from this experience was that I was very patient with the protestors and refrained what was on my mind, which is very hard for me. Some of my pitfalls were that it was kind of hard for me to approach the patients at first because I am shy, but after a while I ended up being very comfortable with it. Next week I will know exactly what to expect. 

2. Reflection: The work I did this week relates directly to the chapter we are studying which is “Women’s Bodies and Women’s Health”. Planned Parenthood offers many vital resources for women who cannot afford health services such as; STI Testing, birth control, contraception, annual checkups, prenatal care, and abortions. “Women also want the freedom to bear children. To do this we need sex education that is accurate and culturally appropriate; safe, legal, affordable abortion; prenatal care and care through childbirth” (Kirk and Okazawa- Rey 211) By showing my support for Planned Parenthood I am showing my support for women’s health overall and the choice of every woman. By being a clinic escort I helped patients by reminding them that they are entitled to reproductive health, reproductive justice, and their own choice, which is something the “40 Days of Life”, campaign is trying to make them feel guilty about.

3. Reciprocity: This week I gave my time, but what I gained from this experience was of more value than I had come up with preconceived notions before arriving at the clinic and that this was going to be an easy job. After arriving at the clinic I realized how badly the clinic escort service is needed. The first time I realized this important detail was while I had approached a young girl who thought I was a protestor and seeing how scared she looked and the look of relief she had when she realized I was a volunteer. After she thanked me for my services I realized just how much of an impact clinic escorts have on the patients. Another thing I gained from my experience is knowing just how many people are still against women’s rights. Seeing people from the “40 Days of Life” campaign was shocking for me considering there arguments against women’s rights. It was also very shocking seeing how most of the protestors were women, this was an eye opening experience for me. I inferred from my experiences today that one of the worst factors against women’s rights are women who do not believe in their own rights.  



Kirk, Gwyn , and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives. 5th ed. New York, New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. 207-210. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment