Activism Log
Activism: This week my community partners and I sought out
to defeat amendment 6. Since we are in the middle of election season we have
started phone banking any spare hour we have to try and inform voters about amendment
6. Amendment 6 endangers the rights of
women all over Florida but letting politicians intrude in private medical
decisions. Our first step to defeating this dangerous piece of legislation is
by informing voters, especially women voters, of what is at stake every time
someone checks yes on the ballot. This week we met with Alexa who is the
president of VOX and she gave us a game plan for how to defeat amendment six.
Throughout the week my community partners and I have been handing out flyers,
phone banking, and making sure everyone is getting out to vote.
Reflection: This week was very important because it was the
week before the election therefore it became crunch time. The fact that we now
have so little time to get out the word about amendment 6 made me realize the
importance behind all of the activism we did this week. This week we were
learning about equal pay and the “mommy tax”, this can relate to amendment 6 in
an abstract way. Things such as the “mommy tax” and the “second shift” (Kirk
and Okazawa- Rey 338)
really show us that to have a child we must be financially and
emotionally prepared. Women who have children face in their careers and
financial stability. This relates back to the dangerous amendment 6 because if
this amendment is passed, women who are not ready, nor have a desire, to become
a mother may not be given the option. This also relates back to the documentary
we watched on women making their own choices and how women are poorly
represented in politics, especially when legislation is made against them.
Reciprocity: This week I gained a lot from the assignments given
to me by my community partner. Before working with “Vote No On 6” I didn’t
really know a lot about amendment 6. Through my work with the campaign I have
learned some horrifying facts about the amendment so when it came time to vote
I knew exactly what to bubble in on my ballot. I also gained a lot of networking
and persuasion skills. By calling people and making them aware of amendment 6 I
learned how to gain their attention and express the importance of the vote. It
was rewarding when I would call someone and they would thank me for the service
I did through the campaign. If I gained anything from this week of activism it
was self-respect. I respect myself a lot more now that I am more politically
aware and am actually doing something about issues that directly affect myself
and other women. This week was rewarding because I know that with the work of
all of the volunteers we are making voters more aware of what they are voting
on and we are changing the world one phone call at a time.
Kirk, Gwyn , and Margo Okazawa-Rey. Women's Lives.
5th ed. New York, New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. 207-210. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment